May is Skin Cancer Awareness month. Skin cancer is the most common of all cancers with roughly 3.5 million cases of skin cancer diagnosed in the U.S. alone each year. Did you know that the window films that we offer at Suntamers Window Tinting in most cases reduce 99% of the UV rays hitting the glass and that window film is a recommended product by The Skin Cancer Foundation as a product that offers effective UV sun protection?
While many people do not think about protecting their skin while riding in their car or when they are inside of a building, this is what Perry Robins, MD, President of The Skin Cancer Foundation has to say about the topic, “To see the damage that untreated glass can do, take a close look at the furnishings in your home that are hit by direct sunlight. If the sun has faded the color of your sofa, it can just as easily damage your skin when you sit there.”
For Skin Cancer Awareness Month, The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends that everyone adopt a complete year-round sun protection regimen as follows:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Do not burn.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or excessive sweating.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See your physician every year for a professional skin exam.
You can find out more about how window film can be used to protect yourself against the dangers of the sun click HERE
Call our team at Suntamers Window Tinting at 770-386-6170 to find out more information about how window films being an effective form of protection against the sun. We would be happy to schedule a completely free, no obligation consultation with you about integrating these products into your healthy lifestyle.